Sunday, July 5, 2009

Teaching at Arrowmont

No pictures I'm afraid as I'm teaching this week at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, TN - just on the edge of the Smoky Mountain National Park. I drove through the park yesterday on the way here - alternating long vistas of blue mountains (aerial perspective at its best!) and cool green shades of rocky streams. Last night we sat out on the lawn and watched the firework display - I remembered Terry Hanckock's firework quilts! I don't think anyone has done a better one.
Tonight I'll meet my class and we'll begin by finding our their expectations, hopes, dreams and goals for the class - I'll make a long list and hope that it in some way reflects my lesson notes!
The topic of the class is "Coaxing the Muse". We are going to explore all the different ways inspiration can come creeping in - not just fireworks and mountains, but also bathroom floor tiles, roof patterns, music, and poetry, relationships and being on hold on the telephone!
I'll report when I can - about our discovery process!
Thanks for reading!!! Elizabeth

No comments: