Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Abstract Art For Quiltmakers at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, TN





Having a great time in the Smoky Mountains at the famous (100 years old!) Arrowmont School in Gatlinburg, TN - yes , we were told, it was here before Dolly Parton - actually before Dolly Parton's grandaddy was born!!

Here is my quilt hanging in the main gallery: - the tiny little orange and green thing at the far end - very well lit though!


And here are some pictures of the class hard at work:



probably gossiping - but we won't comment on that!!...

However, look at all the designs up on the design walls:




Linda and Elaine working on their designs...


Cindy deciding which piece of many beautiful options to make..


Liz on the sewing machine hard at work....


it's a great class, I know they're going to get a lot done.and look at all the wonderful space in the Arrowmont Textile studio...no sitting squashed up at a small table in the dark....
yesterday we designed all day, today we dyed gradations of black or navy and tonight a small monochromatic piece will be made.  Tomorrow we'll burst into color!! (if not song!)

My next workshop will be in Falmouth on Cape Cod in October.....Abstract Art for Quiltmakers: Design and Dye.
So, if you have been, thanks for reading!!  And do check out Arrowmont, they have some wonderful classes (arrowmont.org) or if you're interested in the Cape Cod workshop, (there are a couple of places left) give Linda Gallagher a call.  (there's a link on the sidebar, or email me and I'll put you in touch with her - there's an email link to me on the sidebar too).   Elizabeth

6 comments:

Nina Marie said...

omg - I stop designing and sewing for one moment in 2 days to get a little chat in and you get a picture of it! GRIN! Having a great week - productive - would highly suggest this class to anybody and am jealous of anybody going on to Cape Cod!!

Maggi said...

Your piece looks so striking. The designs on the walls look so inspiring.

Leigh in Portland (we are not burning down) said...

What a fabulous workroom!!!

Jackie said...

Your quilt looks great at the end of the hall!! The work room at Arrownmont looks superb!

Mary Keasler said...

I can't tell you how much I learned from this workshop. Elizabeth, I nominate you for teacher of year. Your brilliance combined with Arrowmont's, facilities and surroundings made for a magical week. Oh, and by the way, I contend that those ladies weren't gossiping, but simple exploring values. ;-) I look forward to more abstract explorations.

Connie in Alabama said...

I loved all the design exercises! And now I've got so many design ideas I want to explore. This was an outstanding class, with your excellent teaching and the great folks in our workshop.