Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Cutting up!


Well I'm in cutting up mode again!  Often I find I've made a quilt just far too big!
And Steelyard Frieze is one of those, it's so wide it hangs over the edge of my storage shelves and I have to get into that room sideways through the door!

  Now I've put up with this crab like entry to the art quilt store/library (aka spare bedroom) for 3 years or so in the hope that Someone would have a Pink Sofa over which they absolutely had to have hanging a very strong beautiful PINK art quilt!   But,  I have finally realized, nobody Ever had such a sofa!!  At least not for a very long time - and probably only in Hollywood too!

Well, here's the quilt:



and I'm thinking this would cut up into 3 very nice slices:



of course I'd try to make them a little more even in width and probably would alter that strange "cow" effect on the right hand one - spell checker was having me write "strangle" the cow on the right!!  And maybe - for once - spell checker's wild guess is the right solution!

So - what d'you think?  Should I cut it up?? - it really is too wide and very awkward to ship - it's 68" wide, by 35" high, so each slice would be 32" wide  (I'd lose a bit on the seam allowance of the interfacing) and 35" high - which is a very nice size for a pink bathroom!!

all comments most willingly accepted!!!
And, if you're eating turkey, make sure it's NOT pink!!
And, of course, nothing better after the turkey than a nice cuppa tea with the old pumpkin pie!!

If you have been, thanks for reading!   Happy Thanksgiving Day!  Elizabeth

16 comments:

Katie Stein Sather said...

interesting piece....
and I like it cut up much better.. the proportions of the blackish foreground compared to the industrial setting work better for me.

sonja said...

Yes, cut it up.it is more interesting as a triptich, a very urban one.

Katia Oh said...

I love it cut up! And I love the cow too!

Beth said...

Sorry to decent but I like it whole. It flows whole. I do have some storage ideas though if you keep it whole.

Bethany Garner said...

Agree with Beth.. the whole is more cohesive, and if you do decide to cut it up - left and center pieces are strong on their own. Remind me of the steel mills in Hamilton, ON along the waterfront. Do adjust the cow effect and third would be stronger. We see the pink skies here in summer and early spring often.
Bethany

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of two pieces instead of three. It might make the "cow" less so. Alternately you could do some kind of surface treatment to the "cow" to integrate it into the reconfigured piece better.

Linda S said...

Elizabeth, my first reaction to your suggestion was "NO, no, don't cut it" But the next photo showed me that when cut in 3 - each piece looks great and stands on its own. It's a great solution. Love reading your blog as it reminds me of your class in Grand Forks, BC 2014 where I learned so much about designing. Linda Schmidt

Rayna said...

Follow your instincts, Elizabeth. The pink will still be PINK no matter which way you go and the piece really works either way (if you can stand the pink - LOL)


Flip a coin: heads you cut, tails you leave it. When the coin lands, if you want to flip it again, you'll have your answer. Never fails.

Happy Thanksgiving:-)

Margaret said...

I like the triptych -- I also like the idea of them not being exactly the same size. That said, there are only certain places where you could cut unless you don't mind cutting a building in half. As for the cow, I didn't notice her till you mentioned her. Happy Thanksgiving!

Elizabeth said...

well thank you to everyone for your suggestions!!! seems like the consensus is to cut it up!!! and I do feel a LITTLe pink goes a LONG way!!!
And it IS the steel mill in Hamilton Ontario by the way....I sailed out from that little marina opposite so I could get a nice lot of pictures...I removed the slag heaps!! As the sun is going down, the building can be extraordinarily beautiful - if you ignore the smoke!
and Happy TG to all of you..so far I've made the cranberry sauce! I figure if all else fails, we could have a nice bowl of it with some ice cream!

Sandy said...

I think cutting is a good solution too. Who knows, maybe someone will decide they want a triptych!

Perhaps you need to market it near the original steel mill? Someone who worked there might connect.
Sandy in the UK

Elaine Millar said...

Cut it up!
It will be much more appealing!

Petra Kooij said...

I am wandering what would happen if you cut it in two pieces. And place the left pièce without the pink sky over ( on?) the black fabric in the foreground ot the otter pièce. Or vice versa of course. You understand what I mean?

Turtlemoonimpressions said...

I've been in a cutting-it-up mood! Fortunately, now that you have me doing sketches first, I'm cutting up at that stage right now. I think I'd like to see it cut in two as well. Less choppy, so to speak. Love the pink!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I agree with Katie that, in smaller sections the proportions of the foreground are better. But I'd be very careful about where the divisions are made. I don't think you can make 3 equal sections and have each one work on its own. This is something I've recently learned about triptychs or any subdivided piece of art - each section must work as an individual piece of art as well as part of the whole. I'm with whoever said two sections might actually work better, the left smaller than the right. In fact, if you cut this up, I think you should ditch that right hand section altogether. It doesn't say much on its own.

Karen said...

I think it is more powerful as one piece. You can store it rolled up on a tube....